Fire District #2 was created in September 1922. The newly created
fire district encompassed the northern portion of our present fire
district and did not have a fire station or any firefighting equipment,
rather it was created so that residents could establish a fire company
with sufficient personnel and suitable fire fighting equipment.
.....Began with a group of neighbors who had been trying for years to establish a company. They received a "Checker" taxi from NYC and a bay from the Vogel Brothers Garage (now uptown beverage). The neighbors reconstructed the taxi into a chemical firefighting truck. The company continued to grow and equipped itself with firefighting equipment and in 1939 moved into Von Stettina's Garage on Amsterdam Ave. In March 1941 the company received a new Dodge Pumper to replace the Checker and after WWII the company received an OCD Pumper to compliment its 1941 Pumper. Again plans were made for a new fire station.
.....It wasn't until 1950 that both companies moved into and shared a new station, our current station. After many meetings and discussions it was decided a merger of the 2 companies was needed and on January 1st, 1955 it was completed. Great discussion continued for a name and it was concluded that both hose companies were Rotterdam Volunteer Fire Companies of Rotterdam Fire District #2; therefore it was decided that our name shall be Rotterdam Volunteer Fire Company of Rotterdam District #2.
were marked by the disasters of the Town Tavern Fire and the Palma
Lumber Company Fire. Shoporama shopping Plaza was completed on Altamont
Ave showing evidence of a growing district. The fire district purchased
a 1956 Mack with a 750gpm pump, 300 gal tank to replace the 1935 Chevy
Pumper. Another Mack was purchased in 1957 to replace the OCD with
a 750gpm Pump and 300gal Tank.
.....1970's started with the completion of a new edition to the Firehouse adding 2 bays with large overhead doors and the fire district purchased a new 1972 Mack Fire Engine with a 1250gpm Pump, 250gal Tank, jump seats with airpacks and 4" hose to replace the 1942 Dodge Pumper. The district continued to grow with the opening of Royce Shopping Center on Altamont Ave. The members of the company built a brush truck from a military 2 1/2 ton, 10 wheel drive truck in 1977. By the end of the 1970's FD2 had started training extensively on heavy rescue and vehicle extrication.
Day Parade 1984 -